Jasmine Bledsoe
Independence Town Hall, 887 Marietta Avenue, Whitesville NY 14897

Phone: 607-356-3608  Fax: 607-356-3600

Office Hours: Monday & Wednesday 8:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Thursday 2:00 - 5:00 PM and by appointment


~Building Permit Applications
~Dog License Renewals
~Certified Copies of Birth, Death, and Marriage Certificates
~Handicap Parking Permit Applications
~Fulfillment of FOIL Requests 
   FOIL Form

~Hunting & Fishing Licenses (licensed using DEC agent)
~Filing of NYS Marriage Licenses and Registration
~Live Birth Registration
~Filing of Death Certificates
~Peddler Permits
~Genealogy Record Searches

Marriage License Application
Must be completed at the Town Clerk's Office and both parties must be present and bring photo ID, divorce decrees (if applicable) and death certificates (if widowed). The fee is $40 and the license is issued immediately, however the ceremony may not take place within 24 hours and the license is valid for 60 days.  Ceremony must take place in New York State.

Certified Copies of Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates
Birth and Death Certificates are on file at the Clerk's Office for people who were born or died within the Town limits.  Marriage certificates are available for those whose Certificate of Marriage was filed in the town of Independence.  All certified copies cost $10.  Proof of identity is required and a request form will need to be completed.

Peddler Permits
A Peddlers Permit must be applied for to peddle, sell, solicit orders for upon any sidewalk, street, or public place or at any private home within the town of Independence.  The cost is $25 and is valid for 6 months.  NOTE TO RESIDENTS: Peddlers that have been approved to sell wares in the town of Independence are issued a Permit Certificate.  Residents should ask to see the permit.

Handicap Parking Permits/Tags
The Clerk issues parking permits for Town residents with disabilities at no charge.  Applications may be obtained at the Clerk's Office and the permit/tag will be issued once the form is completed by the applicant's doctor and returned to the Clerk.  Most doctors have this form available to facilitate the process.

Dog Licenses
Every dog in the town that is over four months old must be licensed.  Proof of rabies vaccination is required.  The fee for an un-spayed or un-neutered dog is $15.50.  If the dog is spayed or neutered, and proof is provided, the fee is $7.50.  NOTE: The Town's Dog Control Officer is PJ Sherman and can be reached at 716-575-5019 or   

Water Billing and Collection
Water Bills are mailed quarterly - March, June, September, and December.  Payments may be mailed, paid in person at the Clerk's Office or placed in the "drop box" located to the left of the main entrance of the Town Hall.  Unpaid water bills will be levied onto taxes October 20th of each year per town law section 198(d).