Official website for Town of Independence, NY
The Township of Independence was formed from Alfred, NY on March 16, 1821. It lies in the Southeast corner of Allegany County. A small group of settlers founded Green’s Corners, which later became known as Independence, New York There were three separate settlements which included Green’s Corner’s, Whitesville, and Spring Mills. These three locations were once “bustling” during their early years. Each of these locations had stores and a post office, with Whitesville being the hub. It is hard to imagine the struggles these early residents had to endure as they worked to live and survive the new territory.